City of Athens Relay for Life Team
Based on available records, the City of Athens Relay for Life Team has raised over $162,000 for the American Cancer Society since 1999.
American Cancer Society toll free hotline (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week): 1-800-ACS-2345
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Athens firefighters will have a new uniform for the month of October. Crews will be wearing Breast Cancer Awareness Month T-shirts in support of those who have or are battling the disease. Members of the City of Athens Relay for Life Team will be wearing their pink on Fridays to show the #powerofpink.
Each year, Athens Fire and Rescue Auxiliary designs a shirt the firefighters wear, and the auxiliary sells the shirts as a fundraiser. Proceeds will go to the Athens-Limestone Hospital Foundation’s Pink Elephant program that supports awareness and treatment of breast cancer.
This year’s shirt is gray with pink lettering that includes a fire hose shaped as a pink ribbon in the name Athens Fire. The Comfort Color shirts are $20 and are available at Station No. 1 at 950 W. Washington Street from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information, call 256-262-1390.
- Hope. Fight. Relay. purple garden flags, $15. Call 256-233-8730.
- Relay for Life stained glass sun catchers in the shape of a purple ribbon, made by High Cotton Arts artist Denise Maurer, $20. Call 256-233-8730.
- City of Athens Christmas ornaments, $10. Call 256-233-8730.
- Vintage Relay T-shirts "35 Years Strong"; $20 short or long sleeve or $22 for 2X or 3X; Comfort Color; pre-orders due by Oct. 18. Call 256-233-8730.
- Limestone Cattlemen's Steak Sandwich Lunch Spring 2020
- Bass Fishing Tournament Spring 2020
- Dan Williams Memorial Blood Drive May 2020 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
City of Athens Relay for Life Team Fights Back and Supports Community
- We recycle cellphones for money that goes to the American Cancer Society. Drop off your unused cellphones at City Hall for Chanel Taylor or Holly Hollman.
- We recycle cola tabs for Ronald McDonald House at St. Jude. Bring your cola tabs in a Ziplock bag to City Hall for Kim Glaze or Holly Hollman.
- We support various cancer awareness months by wearing our awareness colors and sharing information. Those that hold a special place in our hearts include Gynecologic Cancer and Childhood Cancer Awareness both in September, Breast Cancer Awareness in October, Pancreatic Cancer Awareness in November, and Colon Cancer Awareness in March.
- We support events for survivors and those currently battling cancer.
- We host an annual blood drive in May in honor of the late Rep. Dan Williams, a former mayor of Athens who died from leukemia. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>