City of Athens Relay for Life Team
Based on available records, the City of Athens Relay for Life Team has raised over $162,000 for the American Cancer Society since 1999.
American Cancer Society toll free hotline (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week): 1-800-ACS-2345
Catching a 'Spark' of kindness
Spark Academy at Cowart Elementary first graders who visited City Hall a few months ago asked how they can make a difference in their community. City of Athens Relay for Life Team Captain Holly Hollman told them the team collects cola tabs and along with Elkmont Church of Christ, sends them to Ronald McDonald House of Memphis. RMHM provides support for children and families who have a child undergoing treatment at St. Jude.
The first graders listened and acted! They collected 39 pounds of cola tabs by making marketing posters for their school. Their teachers also had them learn math. The students put the tabs in gallon bags and weighed them to count how many they collected.
The students presented the City of Athens Relay Team with their collection today, and they promised to keep up the good work. They know first hand the impact because one of the school's students currently goes to St. Jude for treatment and the family stays at Ronald McDonald House.
- Hope. Fight. Relay. purple garden flags, $15. Call 256-233-8730.
- Relay for Life stained glass sun catchers in the shape of a purple ribbon, made by High Cotton Arts artist Denise Maurer, $20. Call 256-233-8730.
- Vintage Relay T-shirts "35 Years Strong"; $20 short or long sleeve or $22 for 2X or 3X; Comfort Color; pre-orders due by Oct. 18. Call 256-233-8730.
- Chicken Stew Fundraiser - Orders due by Jan. 21, 2020, and pickup is Jan. 25, 2020, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at City Hall. $25 a gallon and $10 a quart.
- Limestone Cattlemen's Steak Sandwich Lunch - March 27, 2020
- Bass Fishing Tournament Spring - April 25, 2020
- Dan Williams Memorial Blood Drive May 2020 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
City of Athens Relay for Life Team Fights Back and Supports Community
- We recycle cellphones for money that goes to the American Cancer Society. Drop off your unused cellphones at City Hall for Chanel Taylor or Holly Hollman.
- We recycle cola tabs for Ronald McDonald House at St. Jude. Bring your cola tabs in a Ziplock bag to City Hall for Kim Glaze or Holly Hollman.
- We support various cancer awareness months by wearing our awareness colors and sharing information. Those that hold a special place in our hearts include Gynecologic Cancer and Childhood Cancer Awareness both in September, Breast Cancer Awareness in October, Pancreatic Cancer Awareness in November, and Colon Cancer Awareness in March.
- We support events for survivors and those currently battling cancer.
- We host an annual blood drive in May in honor of the late Rep. Dan Williams, a former mayor of Athens who died from leukemia. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>