We hope that your visit with the Building Department is informative. Our staff is here to assist you, and strives to provide citizens with a clean and safely built environment.
Regulations & Codes
Building Department inspectors utilize a network of modern regulations to embrace all aspects of building construction which include structural assurance, fire protection, as well as plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems. These codes help provide safeguards to the public in:
- Places of Entertainment
Other departmental services are:
- Issuance of all construction, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and gas permits.
- Enforcement of Zoning Regulations according to comprehensive City Zoning Ordinance to ensure property value protection and control setbacks from property lines for new construction.
- Enforcement and protection of exterior concepts and structures located in the three districts of the City currently listed in the Federal Register of Historic Sites.
- Abatement of Condemned and Unsafe Buildings in an attempt to ensure that buildings are maintained or upgraded to meet minimum standards or are demolished to protect public health and safety.
- Residential Swimming Pool Permit Application
- Residential Plumbing Permit Application
- Residential Mechanical Permit Application
- Residential Gas Permit Application
- Residential Electrical Permit Application
- Public Records Request Form-City of Athens
- Commercial Swimming Pool Permit Application
- Commercial Plumbing Permit Application
- Commercial Mechanical Permit Application
- Commercial Gas Permit Application
- Commercial Electrical Permit Application
- Commercial Building Permit Application
- Application for a Certificate of Occupancy
- Contractor and Sub-Contractor List (PDF)
- Athens Pre Construction Information
- TEMP POLE SPECS
- Dumpster Specification
- Residential Building Permit PDF