Street Construction Closures
These events have received permits:
- April 28 - 5 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Cars on The Square in Downtown Athens. Blocked streets will be Jefferson from Greet to Hobbs, Marion from Green to Market, Market from Madison to Marion, and Washington from Madison to RR between Marion and Clinton.
- Sept. 8 - 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. - Travis Manion Foundation 5K to impact Pryor Street at Veterans Museum, Marion Street, Washington Street, Hine Street, Huston Street, Third Avenue, Madison Street, West Hobbs Street.
- Sept. 8 - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Superhero Day at Big Spring Park. Parade will impact Market, Clint, East, Washington, Hobbs and Beaty streets.
- Sept. 15 - 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. - Duck and Run 5K - Impacts East, Washington, Forrest, Houston, Madison, Market, Marion and Beaty streets and First Avenue.
The City of Athens coordinates with the Alabama Department of Transportation on these projects, and the dates are subject to change
- Washington Street – Half of the paving is complete. Paving will resume in the spring.
- 5th Avenue – Plans are complete. Once City forces complete preliminary work, the project will be bid. Anticipate summer start date.
- Forrest Street bridges and resurfacing – Plans are complete. Right-of-way acquisition is underway. Anticipated late summer/ early fall start date on construction
- Fifth Avenue Widening and Resurfacing - To be determined.
- Alabama 251 roundabout – Wait until Forrest St bridges done. (State project)
- Courthouse Square – Plans submitted to ALDOT. Once authorization received, advertise for bids. Anticipated late spring/early summer start date.
- U.S. 31/Pryor Street Sidewalk – Anticipate fall 2018 construction.
- Athens High School Access Improvements – U.S. 31 entrance, Pryor St/Golden Eagle Drive/U.S. 31 Intersection, and Elm St turn lane) – Anticipate construction start date in early summer.
- Athens Limestone Blvd at U.S. 72 – Permit submitted to ALDOT; City forces to construct.