Street Construction Closures
First Avenue Area Drainage Project
The Athens City Council has approved paving roads impacted by street cuts.
Hawkins Groundwork started work on this project on March 18.
The City of Athens received a Community Development Block Grant through the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs to improve drainage in the area between Athens Elementary and Athens-Limestone Hospital.
The project involves improvements to the drainage system along First Avenue, Horton Street and Hobbs Street in the First Avenue neighborhood. The project will improve drainage for over 150 single-family homes, two multi-family housing buildings, Athens Senior Center, a few medical businesses and Athens Elementary School. The work includes new reinforced concrete pipe, over 30 inlets and pavement work.
Spring/Summer 2019 paving update
Paving update from Public Works:
A crew has been milling utility cuts in preparation to repave these areas this week (Week of June 2):
1) S. Houston St. by the Farmers Market
2) S. Hines close to Plato Jones
3) Elkton Rd. has cuts
4) S. Marion close to Bradford Pawn
5) Madison St. between Hobbs and Bryan
6) Levert Ave.
7) Cascade Dr.
8) Sabrina Ln. has two locations
9) Cornish at Elkton
10) Audubon Ln.
The Street Department has had a crew in Canebrake to repair sinking sewer trenches.
A crew has patched damaged areas on Moyer's Road and is monitoring the road due to all the construction traffic.
Today a crew is opening up the big dip on Lindsay Lane close to Lindsay Lane Baptist Church to start work on that repair.
Reed should be here the first of this month to start paving the larger streets of Jefferson, Lucas Ferry, and Clinton.
- Sept. 14 from 7-10 a.m. - Travis Manion Foundation 5K; starts and ends at Veterans Museum and impacts Pryor, Marion, Washington,Hine, Houston, Third Avenue, Madison, and West Hobbs.
- Sept. 21 from 7-10 a.m. - KALB Duck and Run 5K; starts and ends at Big Springs Park. Route impacts East, Washington, Forrest, Houston, First Avenue, Madison, Market, Marion and Beaty.
- Oct. 18-19 from 5 p.m. on the 18th to 9 p.m. on the 19th - Marion and Washington closed.
- Oct. 19 - Athens Grease Festival on Square
- Forrest Street bridges and resurfacing – The street east of U.S. 31 closed March 4, 2019, and will remain closed until summer 2020, weather permitting. This is to replace the two bridges over Swan Creek and make other safety improvements. Click here for more project info.
- Alabama 251 roundabout – Wait until Forrest St bridges done. (State project)
- Courthouse Square – Will pave in August.
- U.S. 31/Pryor Street Sidewalk – Waiting ALDOT approval to bid.